JOB POSTING: Community Programs Associate
Who We Are:
Ten Thousand Things (TTT) awakens the creative spirit of audiences and artists by bringing essential and exceptional theater to people from all backgrounds and life experiences. TTT typically tours 3-4 productions per year in the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota, bringing roughly half the performances for free to correctional facilities, shelters, senior facilities, youth support centers and community centers, with the other half performed for the paying general public. From the classics, to musicals and new works, TTT has over 30 years' experience telling stories with clarity, artistry and urgency.
- Theater is better when everyone is in the audience. Performing for audiences of all life experiences and backgrounds expands imagination and challenges us to create work that is honest, relevant and representative.
- Artistic excellence drives our work. We combine rigor, skilled artists and bold, universal stories to create the best work possible.
- Artists are our greatest asset. We value the tremendous talent and commitment of our artists and place them at the center of the work.
- Everyone belongs. We actively work to eliminate barriers to participation and cultivate equitable practices. Whether an audience member, artist, staff, or volunteer, each person’s unique perspective is necessary to the work.
- We choose joy. Challenging work is best met by an environment that allows for laughter, safety, play and creativity.
TTT is excited to announce a new part-time position designed to deepen and expand TTT’s programming reach into communities throughout the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota. The Community Programs Associate will be the key point of contact for new and existing community partners, working to hear partner needs and align them with TTT program offerings, including free on-site performances, artist residencies, and participation in community writing initiatives. The coordinator will work closely with the Production Manager and Artistic Director to develop community relationships, coordinate scheduling, generate new ideas, and evaluate program outcomes. This person is a community advocate, a listener, a planner, a communicator, an organizer, a team-player, an artist, and is vital to TTT’s ability to meet its mission.
- Research, identify, cultivate and maintain relationships with current and prospective community partners and host partner venues
- Work with community partners, Artistic Director and Production Manager to overcome unique barriers to audience participation at each venue
- Organize and coordinate TTT community-focused workshops and events, including annual Ten Thousand Voices project
- Work with the Artistic Director and Production Manager to identify the best programming fit for the unique needs of each community partner
- Participate in production meetings and rehearsals as necessary to connect work with community partners
- Work with partners to help coordinate PR efforts for community programming
- Work with the development team to ensure community programming is fulfilling the terms of grant funding contracts
- Communicate TTT’s expectations and needs to host partners for each program offering
- Orient and facilitate TTT artists in their tours to community partners spaces
- Attend all community shows and events and collect feedback from audiences, participants and staff
- Keep up with staff and policy changes at community partner organizations
- Learn and understand safety and other requirements for entry into community facilities
- Maintain database with up-to-date information about community partners
REPORTS TO: Artistic Director
WORKING CONDITIONS: This is a part-time, hourly position, with an anticipated flexible schedule of 20 hours per week. Work includes a mix of remote coordination along with on-site meetings and community performances. Scheduling is flexible with occasional evenings and weekends required. TTT does not hold office space or permanent rehearsal and performance space. Transportation required.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Experience working in or amongst organizations serving diverse populations
- Strong identification and experience with goals of equity, diversity, inclusion and access
- Demonstrated experience with organizing and coordinating initiatives
- Experience with professional theater programming as an artist or administrator
- Engaging and outgoing demeanor, open to making calls and meeting partners
- Clear accountability and self-motivation to achieve goals
- Clear communication and organizational skills
- Commitment to TTT’s mission and values
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: $22/hour salary, plus $200/month toward health expenses, PTO and vacation policy, and employer-matched retirement plan.
Ideal Start Date: August 1, 2022
Ten Thousand Things is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a culture of belonging. We work continually to evolve creatively and cultivate equitable practices, including in our hiring processes. We will consider all qualified applications without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, or disability.
We’d like to acknowledge that Ten Thousand Things Theater, based in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, is located on the traditional land of the Dakota People; and we honor the Anishinaabe People of this land as well. We are guided by the original stewards of this land.